Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It Won't Be Like This For Long...


"He didn't have to wake up,
he'd been up all night
Layin’ there in bed listenin’
to his new born baby cry
He makes a pot of coffee,
he splashes water on his face
His wife gives him a kiss
and says it's gonna be OK

It won’t be like this for long,
one day we'll look back laughin’
At the week we brought her home
this phase is gonna fly by
So baby just hold on,
‘cause it won't be like this for long

Four years later ‘bout 4:30
she's crawling in their bed
And when he drops her off at preschool
she's clinging to his leg
The teacher peels her off of him,
he says what can I do
She says now don't you worry,
this’ll only last a week or two

It won’t be like this for long,
one day soon you'll drop her off
And she won’t even know you're gone,
this phase is gonna fly by
If you can just hold on
it won’t be like this for long

Some day soon she'll be a teenager
and at times he'll think she hates him
Then he'll walk her down the aisle
and he'll raise her veil
But right now she's up and cryin’
and the truth is that he don't mind
As he kisses her good night
and she says her prayers

He lays down there beside her
‘til her eyes are finally closed
And just watchin’ her it breaks his heart
cause he already knows

It won’t be like this for long,
one day soon that little girl is gonna be
All grown up and gone yeah,
this phase is gonna fly by
So, he's tryin’ to hold on,
‘cause it won’t be like this for long." - Darius Rucker

As a mother of two wonderful gifts from God, I am realizing now more than ever just how fast time flies right before your very eyes. I cannot believe that I already have to go back to work this Friday and as the day draws near, I am struggling with it more and more. Just as I did with Maddux, I have formed an unbreakable bond with my daughter. Every morning after her first bottle of the day we lay on the floor and just talk....just the two of us all alone and it is one of the best parts of my day! With every passing day she smiles bigger and babbles more. The feeling that I get in my heart every day when she gazes in my eyes and smiles is irreplaceable! For her, in this moment, I am her world and I want it to last forever! I know that these moments race by, but while they last I am going to treasure each and every one. I know that we only have wonderful memories ahead of us, but for right now, in this very moment, I am going to embrace each second with my children and hold it close to my heart because "it won't be like this for long".



2 comments:

  1. What a tear jerker post! So sweet. I love seeing you love your babies so much! Makes me proud...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great song, but definitely a sad one if you're a parent because it is so true!! My daughter is 9 and while I have cherished every age and stage with her, I still feel like I should have been more aware of each one along the way! You don't get it back! Thanks for posting this. :o)

    Sarah Kate @
    http://dixie-creek-farm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete